Who We Are: Political Research Associates
Political Research Associates (PRA) is a national nonprofit devoted to supporting movements that are building a more just and inclusive democratic society. We provide research, strategy, and briefings to expose movements, institutions, and ideologies that undermine human rights. PRA publishes The Public Eye magazine quarterly. The PRA staff union is a unit of the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, Local 32035 of C.W.A. Our office is located in Somerville, Massachusetts.
Who You Are: HR & Operations Coordinator
You are a talented professional who will support overall office administration and the HR & Operations Manager. You are committed to working collaboratively with colleagues and performing self-directed tasks accurately.
The HR & Operations Coordinator at Political Research Associates plays several important roles:
- Coordinating office administration, technology, and communication systems;
- Assisting in Human Resources processes, including payroll, benefits, recruitment, workplace learning and staff development;
- Scheduling, meeting planning, and staff and board retreat coordination; and
- Providing administrative support for accounting.
Political Research Associates is committed to hiring someone with the right mix of experience (both traditional and nontraditional), political commitment, and potential to grow with us. We strongly encourage people from communities most negatively affected by right-wing ideologies & campaigns to apply, particularly: people of color; immigrants; women and feminine-identified people; lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and Two-Spirit people; genderqueer, trans, intersex, and gender non-conforming people.
- Coordinate office communication systems including phones, email, and office calendar.
- Checking, distributing, and sending mail. Post office trips as needed.
- Monitor inventory and order office supplies, office equipment, and kitchen supplies.
- Point of contact with vendors, contractors and service providers to support office operations. Greet visitors.
- Ensure physical work spaces and digital accounts are fully operable for existing and new employees and interns.
- Assist with office technology maintenance and upgrades.
- Troubleshoot equipment and technology problems onsite and for remote staff.
- Serve as liaison to external IT professionals, including coordinate system upgrades and track resolution of reported technology problems.
Human Resources Administration & Payroll
- Provide support for timely benefits administration; process changes with insurance providers and third-party administrators to ensure accurate and timely enrollment and record keeping.
- Support the maintenance of administrative and HR files according to appropriate regulations and policies.
- Assist with onboarding and off-boarding employees, including HR platforms, filing, technology requirements and other office systems.
- Ensure timely collection of approved bi-weekly employee timesheets.
- Prepare timesheet summary for each pay period.
- Support the scheduling and planning of ongoing staff professional development trainings.
- Participate in regular meetings with the HR & Operations Manager.
Scheduling & Meeting planning
- Provide administrative, logistical, and technical support for on and offsite staff and board meetings attended in person or by Zoom.
- Schedule staff meetings and facilitate attendance.
- Serve as scheduling liaison for Board of Directors
- Identify and secure meeting locations, overnight accommodations, and food vendors for off-site retreats.
- Assist remote staff and board members with travel arrangements.
- Coordinate the collection and dissemination of meeting materials with the HR & Operations Manager and PRA’s leadership team.
- Support the set-up and breakdown of meetings.
- Assist meeting attendees with reimbursements for out-of-pocket travel expenses.
Administrative support to accounting
- Prepare and make bank deposits; maintain records.
- Provide Development team with documentation for donations.
- Scanning invoices to the bill payment system.
- Support the processing of vendor payments; research and resolve vendor issues.
- 1-3 years of experience in office administration in a non-profit organization or similar setting.
- Commitment to movements for social justice and anti-oppression frameworks and practices.
- Exceptional attention to detail, commitment to accuracy, and time management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Ability to follow and assist with developing procedures to track information, maintain proper internal controls, confidentiality, and ensure data security.
- Effective in troubleshooting standard office technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to choose priorities effectively and problem solve to meet deadlines.
- Eager to learn new skills through training and mentorship.
- Technical skills and demonstrated experience using job-required software applications or the desire and ability to receive training, including Google suite, Microsoft Office, Zoom, QuickBooks, Basecamp, Neon, and payroll systems.
Compensation package includes generous paid time off for vacation, health, and flexible holidays, as well as 100 % employer-paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance. PRA also offers a 5% employer contribution of salary towards a socially responsible retirement fund, as well as fabulous colleagues in a collaborative working environment and access to professional development.
This is a full-time salaried position ($45,000 - $50,000) based in Somerville, Massachusetts (currently closed due to pandemic precautions, but expected to be predominately in-office when we reopen). This position is not eligible for remote work.